The Seventh Commandment
This is my fifteenth post on the Ten Commandments using Buddy Dano’s study: FOR THE LAND OF THE FREE: THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF FREEDOM and the only one dealing with the seventh commandment. This post is a bit longer than some but it deals almost exclusively with the Doctrine of Adultery and I did not want to break it up.
As I was reading through this week’s post something caught my attention that I doubt very many other readers would even think about. In point five of the doctrine of adultery Pastor Dano quotes 1 Corinthians 6:13-18 and I noticed something in verse 18 that I hadn’t noticed before. Here is the more modern New International Translation of verse 18:
18 Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body.
When I was growing up and listening to Colonel Thieme’s tapes he always emphasized that when we sin we always sin against God only. He got this from Psalm 51:4 where King David is confessing his sins over the “Bathsheba incident”:
4 Against you, you only, have I sinned
**and done what is evil in your sight,
**so that you are proved right when you speak
**and justified when you judge.
In this passage David is saying that it is against the Lord only that he sinned. Colonel Thieme made this a general principle for good reason, God makes the laws and when we sin we are violating His standards. Therefore our sins are always against God.
However, what David and Bathsheba did was sexual sin which, if I am reading 1 Corinthians 6:18 correctly, is a sin against the body as well. I checked Strong’s concordance and the word used in 1 Corinthians 6:18 for “sin” is “hamartano” which is indeed correctly translated as “sin.”
This is really interesting to me. I don’t think that the passages contradict each other but I think that there is more to this than I had realized. I am going to have to give this some thought.
Do any of my readers have an interpretation they want to share?
Here is Pastor Dano:
THE SEVENTH COMMANDMENT
‘‘Thou shall not commit adultery.’’
THE PROTECTION OF DIVINE INSTITUTION #2, MARRIAGE.
So once again we have here a commandment designed for our protection. ‘‘Thou shall not commit adultery.’’ Let us reiterate here a principle which we should never lose sight of in our study of the Ten Commandments. The Ten Commandments are the Magna Carta of freedom, and as such, include certain prohibitions that must be recognized if freedom is to be preserved. ALL OF THE COMMANDMENTS ARE DESIGNED EITHER TO SPONSOR, TO MAINTAIN, OR TO PROTECT OUR FREEDOM.
This particular commandment is for the protection of the privacy and the freedom of the relationship between Right-Man and Right-Woman. Divine Institution #3, family, is protected by the commandment to ‘‘honor your father and your mother.’’ Divine Institution #1, volition, or free will, or individual freedom, is protected by the commandment, ‘‘Thou shalt not murder.’’
Now we focus on Divine Institution #2, marriage. ‘‘Thou shalt not commit adultery.’’ It is very difficult in this day of apostasy for many people to realize that God has designed a Right-Man for a Right-Woman. This seventh commandment has been given to protect every Right-Man and every Right-Woman, even before they meet, and to protect their relationship after they marry. In order to follow this command, not to commit adultery, we must understand what the Bible says about adultery.
THE DOCTRINE OF ADULTERY.
1. Adultery is prohibited by the Word of God. Exodus 20:14. Deuteronomy 5:18, ‘‘Neither shalt thou commit adultery.’’
2. Mental adultery is also condemned by the Word of God. Matthew 5:27, 28, ‘‘Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.’’
3. Adultery produces calluses on the soul in the exhale of your soul. Proverbs 6:32, ‘‘But whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding: he that doeth it destroyeth his own soul.’’ Ephesians 4:19, ‘‘Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.’’
4. Adultery carries certain laws of punishment, such as frustration, and leads to certain forms of slavery. Adultery is one of the manifestations of both sublimation and emotions in rebellion. This principle is taught in the use of a Greek noun translated ‘‘greediness’’ in Ephesians 4:19, and ‘‘covetousness’’ in Ephesians 5:3. It really means ‘‘a frantic search for happiness.’’ It indicates a built in punishment that automatically goes with adultery (PLEONEZIA).
5. Adultery has a destructive effect on the body of both the male and the female, as well as on the soul. 1 Corinthians 6:13-18, ‘‘Meats for the belly, and the belly for meats: but God shall destroy both it and them. Now the body is not for fornication, but for the Lord; and the Lord for the body. And God hath both raised up the Lord, and will also raise up us by His own power. Knew ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid. What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith He, shall be one flesh. But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit. Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.’’
Promiscuity results in male impotence and inability to enjoy fully the Right-Woman for whom he was designed. Now this may come as a shock to some, but God in design is the Author of sex, and as such, He has laid down rules to protect the happiness for which sex was designed.
6. Adultery is a bona fide basis for divorce. Matthew 5:32, 19:9, ‘‘But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.’’ ‘‘And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.’’ Luke 16:18, ‘‘Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.’’
The resultant calluses on the soul destroy mental and physical compatibility between husband and wife. Deuteronomy 24:4, ‘‘Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the Lord: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the Lord thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.’’
7. Adultery is used in the Bible to describe both apostasy and negative volition to the Word of God. Jeremiah 3:8-10, ‘‘And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also. And it came to pass through the lightness of her whoredom, that she defiled the land, and committed adultery with stones and with stocks. And yet for all this her treacherous sister Judah hath not turned unto Me with her whole heart, but feignedly, saith the Lord.’’
Ezekiel 16:24-43, ‘‘And it came to pass after all thy wickedness, (woe, woe unto thee! saith the Lord God;) That thou hast also built unto thee an eminent place, and hast made thee an high place in every street. Thou hast built thy high place at every head of the way, and hast made thy beauty to be abhorred, and hast opened thy feet to every one that passed by, and multiplied thy whoredoms. Thou hast also committed fornication with the Egyptians thy neighbors, great of flesh; and hast increased thy whoredoms, to provoke Me to anger.
‘‘Behold, therefore I have stretched out My hand over thee, and have diminished thine ordinary food, and delivered thee unto the will of them that hate thee, the daughters of the Philistines, which are ashamed of thy lewd way.
‘‘Thou hast played the whore also with the Assyrians, because thou wast unsatiable; yea, thou hast played the harlot with them, and yet couldest not be satisfied. Thou hast moreover multiplied thy fornication in the land of Canaan unto Chaldea; and yet thou wast not satisfied herewith.
‘‘How weak is thine heart, saith the Lord God, seeing thou doest all these things, the work of an imperious whorish woman; In that thou buildest thine eminent place in the head of every way, and makest thine high place in every street; and hast not been as an harlot, in that thou scornest hire; But as a wife that committeth adultery, which taketh strangers instead of her husband! They give gifts to all whores: but thou givest thy gifts to all thy lovers, and hirest them, that they may come unto thee on every side for thy whoredom.
‘‘And the contrary is in thee from other women in thy whoredoms, whereas none followeth thee to commit whoredoms: and in that thou givest a reward, and no reward is given unto thee, therefore thou art contrary.
‘‘Wherefore, O harlot, hear the Word of the Lord: Thus saith the Lord God; Because thy filthiness was poured out, and thy nakedness discovered through thy whoredoms with thy lovers, and with all the idols of thy abominations, and by the blood of thy children, which thou didst give unto them; Behold, therefore I will gather all thy lovers, with whom thou hast taken pleasure, and all them that thou hast loved, with all them that thou hast hated; I will even gather them round about against thee, and will discover thy nakedness unto them, that they may see all thy nakedness.
‘‘And I will judge thee, as women that break wedlock and shed blood are judged; and I will give thee blood in fury and jealousy. And I will also give thee into their hand, and they shall throw down thine eminent place, and shall break down thy high places: they shall strip thee also of thy clothes, and shall take thy fair jewels, and leave thee naked and bare. They shall also bring up a company against thee, and they shall stone thee with stones, and thrust thee through with their swords. And they shall burn thine houses with fire, and execute judgmentsupon thee in the sight of many women: and I will cause thee to cease from playing the harlot, and thou also shalt give no hire any more.
‘‘So will I make My fury toward thee to rest, and My jealousy shall depart from thee, and I will be quiet, and will be no more angry. Because thou hast not remembered the days of thy youth, but hast fretted Me in all these things; behold, therefore I also will recompense thy way upon thine head, saith the Lord God: and thou shalt not commit this lewdness above all thine abominations.’’
Ezekiel 23:24-28, ‘‘And they shall come against thee with chariots, wagons, and wheels, and with an assembly of people, which shall set against thee buckler and shield and helmet round about: and I will set judgment before them, and they shall judge thee according to their judgments. And I will set My jealousy against thee, and they shall deal furiously with thee: they shall take away thy nose and thine ears; and thy remnant shall fall by the sword: they shall take thy sons and thy daughters; and thy residue shall be devoured by fire. They shall also strip thee out of thy clothes, and take away thy fair jewels. Thus will I make thy lewdness to cease from thee, and thy whoredom brought from the land of Egypt: so that thou shalt not lift up thine eyes unto them, nor remember Egypt any more. For thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I will deliver thee into the hand of them whom thou hatest, into the hand of them from whom thy mind is alienated.’’
Revelation 17:1-5, ‘‘And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgments of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters: with whom the kings of the Earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the Earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.
‘‘So he carried me away in the Spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet colored beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet color, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication: And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.’’
8. Marriage is the sanctification of Category 2 love. 1 Thessalonians 4:3, 4, ‘‘For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication: That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honor.’’ Hebrews 13:4, ‘‘Marriage is honorable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.’’
9. The glory of Category 2 love is presented by analogy as in 1 Corinthians 11:7. ‘‘For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.’’ Ephesians 5:25-31, ‘‘Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the Church, and give Himself for it; That He might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the Word, That He might present it to Himself a glorious Church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the Church: For we are members of His body, of His flesh, and of His bones. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.’’
The analogy of 1 Corinthians 11 is that just as the maturity of the Word of God in your soul completes the believer, so the Right-Man completes the Right-Woman. The Right-Woman becomes the glory of the man as the Word of God in the soul of the believer becomes the glory of the Lord, the reflected glory of the Lord.
The Word of God in your soul makes you GRACE oriented, and gives you the mastery over the details of life, and gives you a relaxed mental attitude, which is free from mental attitude sins, and a capacity to love in three categories, and inner happiness.
‘‘Thou shalt not commit adultery.’’ This is designed for the protection of freedom and happiness in Category 2 love. God’s design in Category 2 love is under very severe attack today in our country through the promotion of promiscuity and drugs, and homosexuality. We are aiding and abetting the destruction of our freedom in our country today because of promoting promiscuity and free love and deviations in the Divine design for marriage as presented in the Word of God, the mind of Christ.